Thursday, January 9, 2020

Celebrating a Mini Hike



Kasha-Katuwe (Tent Rocks) Hike
Yesterday we enjoyed a mini hike.  And just doing it was a reminder of the hard work that goes into preparing for any journey.  I guess you could say that yesterday we took a training day within our Unexpected Journey.  Along the way, I focused on training belief, becoming stronger and building my way to wellness.  And I did it in the company of Buck Smith.

If you previously followed my Well Leaders blog, you may recall Ol' Buck.  Buck Smith was a memory my (then 85-year-old) father shared with me when he was recovering from a prolonged hospital stay early last decade.  My dad -- no longer with us as a physical manifestation -- is with me every day.  He was the world's best storyteller (and his characters, like Buck, are full of life lessons). . . 

**********

Buck Smith was my dad's childhood footrace rival.  For a number of early post-depression summers, dad and Buck pounded South Georgia's red clay trails in fierce competition:

Over a few sweltering summers in the late 1930s, my dad's frustration of losing race after race to Buck Smith grew.  Filled with an intense yearning to win, dad would toe the start line alongside Buck time and again, only to see Buck pull ahead and win.  The races were always close – so close that dad drew a crowd of believers who began to lay bets on his ability to beat Buck Smith.  A prophecy was growing and generating the energy of belief – and in its glow dad no longer only wanted to beat Buck Smith, he started to believe he could. 

As the wagers grew and my dad began to see himself the winner, he put more time and effort into becoming that winner.  He spent a school year developing drills and exercises to improve his start, his speed and his finish.  He ran everywhere he went that year.  He raced shoe-less around his small town on every errand and to each destination.  He was becoming that which he believed he could be.

Finally, at the end of the summer of 1937, my dad lined up toe to shoe with Buck Smith as he had so many times in the past.  But this time. belief replaced yearning.  He had put in the hard and persistent work of becoming the victor.  A small pack of grimy, pinched-faced, penny-ante schoolboy gamblers gathered  -- many to bet on the dark horse.   

So, with the nasally shout of Georgia half-pint, the race was on!  Dad got the start he had practiced and sped down the lane with the belief that he could beat Buck Smith.  With each powerful, practiced stride, he knew this was HIS RACE.  And to the cheers of juvenile bettors certain they would head home that afternoon with a few coins jingling in their pockets, my dad triumphed over Buck Smith.

**********

I think we all have our Buck Smiths.  They are the challenges that can feel big, overwhelming and insurmountable.  We do not have to surrender to our Bucks.  They are not our signal to give up. They are our signal to fight, and: 
    My number one ally
  • To believe: Dad's story reminds to believe in my ability to triumph over the demons and ghouls that seem often to border the trails along the Unexpected Journey.  I've faced tough before.  My path is lined with allies who maintain,  "We know you can beat this."  My conviction is fortified by the story of Kikkan Randall, who triumphed over her cancer.  From a place of deep belief I know, “I can do this!"
  • To become: Dad's story also reminds me to STAY IN THE FIGHT.  Sometime it feels as though every day presents new information -- some invigorating, some discouraging.  In each instance I have to channel the energy of reaction into the dynamic, healthful action.  My heart has my back.  My thoughts are mine to control.  I'll run those clay tracks to realize my goal.
    The boost of the mini hike
  • To build: All the little wins along the way are my Power Bars of self-efficacy.  Success (of all sizes) creates power that propels me up the next hill with increased willingness to explore the unknown and accept the process of life. 
I think the story of Buck Smith appeared to my dad in his ICU room of blinking, beeping and chirping monitors to remind him that in this hospital challenge too, he could prevail.  So it came to pass that after five tough weeks in the hospital -- although in a wheelchair and bound for rehab -- my dad left the hospital that year, the week before Christmas.

So dad, today I'm facing down One Mean Son of an Ol' Buck.  And I just want you to know, you can for sure lay your money on me!

Progress:
  • Cycle Eight, Week Two.  I'm feeling good and strong.  Meditating, practicing self-hypnosis, walking, dancing, eating healthfully, feeling blessed and grateful.
  • Cliff and I hosted our pal, Suby, for dinner last evening.  What a soul-nourishing occasion!  The conversation was easy, lively, engaging and relevant.  We are so grateful to have her incredibly gracious and wise presence in our lives.
  • Starting Source Point energy work with Bob Schrei today.
  • Feeling connected and positive.  Thank you to Cindy for the smart resources!  I am incorporating much of Louise Hay's knowledge into my continuation and presence practice.  I especially love the reminder that every day we are new.
  • Still dancing!  Best dance song this week:  Just Dance (Lady Gaga)
Quote of the Day:
Start where you are.  Use what you have.  Do what you can.
                                                                       ~ Arthur Ashe


VIA FRANCIGENA, 2020!

1 comment:

  1. For any friends out there who might be wondering, "Is Donna not telling us how it really is?" or, "Is she not facing the truth?"  I'm here, on the spot, to rebuff either speculation. Donna is entirely grounded and clear-headed. As this latest blogpost underscores, she's also big-view thinker: a master of constructive perspective. As an aside, she happens to look pretty dashing in those scarves and wraps. If you did not know she was battling cancer, you would not know she had health issues at all. 

    I wish you could see the photos we took on Christmas Day, outside of Restaurant Martin where we'd had an early Dinner. Cliff and Joshua very helpfully faced us, two pale-eyed lassies, toward the sun where we squinted and giggled for the shoot. Donna was wearing show-stealing red suede boots. When I call Donna to mind, I think of her soft smile, her laugh, those well-tuned gams, her strength and surety, and red, kick-cancer-in-the-butt boots. 

    I want to give you a picture of Donna, but perhaps Donna herself does that best. Antoine Saint-Exupéry said that to love another is "to look together in the same direction." In this blog, Donna invites you to look forward with her, to see what she sees and how she sees. At least that's how it works for me. We have a very healthy mutual friend, Readers. She just happens to be hosting an unusually bad houseguest.

    ReplyDelete