Saturday, May 9, 2020

Channeling a Little James Brown . . .


To start: Check out You Tube (20 second clip):


Seriously, I feel good!

So, how does a trekker make her way out of the valley of impatience into feeling good (so good)?

A couple of things have made all the difference:

First of all, managing expectations.  I expected targeted therapy to be "easier" than chemo.  And when the first round wasn't . . . well, I was disappointed and saw my pace fall off a tad.  But hey, that was a week ago!  THIS targeted treatment (#2) I took myself back to my trekking philosophy (and my wellness blog) and reread the excerpt below (this from prepping for the Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt in 2013):
  
     "In less than a week, I’ll be hiking again – this time in the Alps.  As I stand ready to secure my passport, lace up my boots and grab my trekking poles, the things not on the packing list for this trip are expectations.  I don’t expect planes and trains to run on time (or not).  I don’t expect the weather to be sunny (or not).   I haven’t studied the terrain for each hiking day of the trip so that I don’t have a daily expectation of rigor (or not).  I don’t know any of my fellow trekkers (except my husband).  I know whatever I could learn about the assembled group will not affect whatever will happen in the present moment in the mountains – so why bother? 
     The truth is that living in the future, -- that is, playing out in our minds how we expect something to happen -- almost always leads to an imbalance . . . and tends then to load our packs with emotions like regret, disappointment, resentment, disbelief and injustice.    
     A calm and balanced expectation-less outlook is valuable far beyond the mountains and the trekking life.  (For me, today, that's in my cancer treatment.  Perhaps for you it's anytime you grab your briefcase, car keys, shopping list or dog leash.)  For all of us, it's when we notice expectation jumping up and down in the corner expecting (naturally), even begging, to join us, and we choose to leave it behind.    
     These days, I'm choosing to trek with a lighter pack and sturdy poles on some seriously feel-good terrain.  How about you?"

Second, I have a new training plan . . . and everyone knows I love a training plan! So after months of my stay-active "Rule of 21s," this week I devised a new plan.  I'm calling it the "Triple T" plan.  That stands for "Treatment Tri(athlon) Training plan.  The way it works is this: I tailor my daily training to (1) Swimming: Right now that's just weight training to work my arms, back and chest since sun and chlorine are off limits in my new treatment regimen, (2) Cycling, and (3) Walking/Running.  Yes, all three!  Done in a single workout session.  In the order of a triathlon.  This morning, I kicked off the "Triple T" and it was joyous!  Today marked my first time back on our Peloton since the end of November (right before chemo showed its worst face).  It was also my first time back on my tread since targeted therapy (two-plus weeks).  My exercise for a couple of weeks had been short walks outside.  The "Triple T" is a motivating, invigorating and fulfilling transition.  What a blast -- I FEEL GOOD! 

Quote of the day:
You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf.
                                                           ~John Kabat Zinn 

On my way to Target #2


Progress Update:
Check out the Kix
  • Targeted treatment round two has been more than bearable. 
  • And here they, are "darned shoes" (mentioned in last post) as I headed into Targeted Therapy Round Two on Monday.
  • I'm focused on strengthening my immune system with nutrition, exercise, meditation and energy work.  Feeling strong -- in the fight!!!
  • Cliff's gotta shave my head today . . . I wake up in the morning's looking like a cross between a baby chicken and Susan Powter (Stop the Insanity from the 1990s -- remember her?).
  • Sewing/quilting projects are going great -- first two delivered. 
  •  Finally, my at-home persona is doing wonders for my plants!  Check them out (and yes, one is a Christmas Poinsettia!).  Not pictured, my apricot tree seedlings, sprouted from last year's fruit seeds!








And the flowers (oh the flowers!) . . .


Thank you, Mariko and Marty!

Thank you Super-Cliff!



VIA FRANCIGENA!

2 comments:

  1. Glad it was a good week! Who-hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your shoes and your beautiful smile. The plants are thriving! And also may you be dear Donna

    ReplyDelete