Saturday, August 24, 2019

Oh So Lucky!

O.K, so I know it may sound a little crazy to say I'm feeling lucky right now -- but really I am.  In our lives together (on any journey) Cliff and I have learned to make our luck by taking new paths, expecting great outcomes, listening to our instincts (even when a GPS may tilt our path in another direction), and by maintaining an attitude of resilience that can deliver joyful memories even on a rainy day. Here's how it works:

On Offa's Dyke (our latest long-distance adventure):
  • We set off as we always do, full of excitement and curiosity, along a new path (it really didn't take that loop or two to get out of Sedbury to prove we were learning the route through our feet and experience).  We saw more -- and logged more miles.  How lucky were we?
  • We expected a fun and demanding walk -- and as always, never made space for the notion of not reaching Prestatyn (at the end of ~200 miles) on our own two (four) feet.  We arrived happy and healthy after 14 walking days.  How lucky were we?
  • We listened to our instincts more than once, whether encountering an unmarked intersection or traversing a field full of cattle.  Cliff to Donna, "Did you notice this entire field is full of only young bulls?"  Donna to Cliff, "Yiieeeee!"  We got neither lost nor gored.  How lucky were we?
  • We packed our rain gear and cold weather layers each day -- ready for any eventuality.  And truly, the memory of hunkering down in a forest shielding our sandwiches from a steady rain with the bills of our hats is  unbelievably happy and vivid.  Oh the rain . . . how lucky were we? 
  • How lucky we were each day to walk, see the wild ponies in the Black Mountains, sleep in a Tenth Century priory, meet amazingly kind and interesting people, share a chicken and leek pie, and sing 60s sitcom theme songs through giggles and gaffs as we headed home -- on and on the memories go. 
  • This is in our nature. 
 On this unexpected journey:
  • We walked all those miles across Wales, and this cancer didn't raise it's ugly head 'til we'd been home for ten days.  How lucky is that?
  • I came back from the Offa's Dyke walk strengthened by a spontaneous decision to practice the Tibetan meditation on death as I walked (a decision I made about halfway through the walk).  Not at all morbid, this meditation is a reminder that at every moment, I am going to die (we all are) -- and in this moment I am aware, compassionate and present.  Deciding to use this meditation five times a day made a huge difference in how I experienced the walk -- and in my healthy mindset as I returned home.  Had this disease been diagnosed mid-April when I was mired in an unhappy job and looking only inward, I may have started this journey with a different mindset -- but it wasn't.  How lucky is that?
  • Just 24 months ago, Santa Fe didn't have the depth of experience and capability that currently exists at our Regional Cancer Center.  Today, one of the world's leading experts in cancer research and medical oncology is the director of oncology at one of our local hospitals -- (the one where I was admitted in my emergency situation three weeks ago).  Today, that doctor is my oncologist, at our Regional Cancer Center in Santa Fe.  Did I mention he co-developed one of the leading drugs used in colon cancer treatment?  How lucky is that?
  • In the world of colon cancers, some are more aggressive, more difficult to treat, more complex.  It seems I have the unexceptional (Cliff and I are calling it the "garden variety") colon cancer.  How lucky is that?
  • One of the nation's most experienced and well-respected oncologic hepatic surgeons is just an hour away in Albuquerque.  He already has reviewed my case and if/when surgery is an option for me, will be my surgeon.  (Did I mention his great professional and personal relationship with my oncologist? ) How lucky is that?
  • I am living in a place of supreme beauty and peacefulness.  I have here some of the best and deepest friendships of my lifetime.  I am surrounded by the positive and healing energy of pals living from coast to coast, and around the world.  That energy creates a healing space that is empowering and buoying.  How lucky am I?
  •  So, yep, I'm feeling lucky.  It is my nature.

Progress update:

Since my last posting, I've gone through a slate of post-surgery appointments that affirmed I am healing exceptionally well, getting stronger every day and ready to head for the next pass on this journey.  The coming week is full of more appointments (further analyzing my cancer).  Then, on 5 September, I get my port (for chemo) and on 9 September, I start chemo.  I'll be on chemo therapy for six months (with or without a break for surgery to remove the mass on my liver -- more on that later).  My darling sister headed home to Florida today, but will be back for my first round of chemo in two weeks.  And hey, my doctor told me the first chemo therapy (which may be tweaked as we learn more about my cancer) won't cause me to lose my hair (lucky, huh?).

Quote of the day:
 Live as if you were to die tomorrow.  Learn as if you were to live forever.
                                                                                       ~Mahatma Gandhi

Proceeding along a new path after a rainy lunch along Offa's Dyke.  How lucky are we?


VIA FRANCIGENA, 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment