Monday, August 26, 2019

Strengths

As a pack my gear for this unexpected journey, I'm taking inventory of my strengths and competencies.  Not of what I need, but of what I have, right now -- in this moment -- that will power my steps, one foot, one day at a time.

It's interesting to note that years ago, I would have spent a lot time worrying about what I needed to acquire or fix in order to succeed on such a journey (this would have been the same whether for school, work, sports or trekking).  These days, I like the idea of engaging fully with what I have experienced to be useful, empowering and life-affirming.  

So this business of packing (putting together what I need to succeed on this journey) got me thinking about my VIA character strengths.  As an executive coach and a student of positive psychology, over the course of nearly two decades I both have taken and used the VIA character strengths survey when working with clients. (https://www.viacharacter.org/account/register)  Check it out, it's free!

It seems at some time in all our lives, we may struggle to know our strengths (instead allowing (even for the briefest period) our attention-hog doubts and weaknesses to siphon our energy).  I know for sure that I have NO TIME for those showboating, kill-buzz nincompoops on this trip.  When we know our strengths, we can pull them forward with greater speed and efficiency than we ever can fix or acquire anew.  And they give us -- well strength, yes -- but also firm footing for beneficial progress.  So . . . 

SHOW ME THE STRENGTHS!

Reviewing my top five VIA character strengths (and they didn't change when I took the survey in 2007 and again in 2014) I was reminded of:  Hope. Honesty. Gratitude. Zest. Curiosity.  Recognizing and tapping into these strengths fortifies my resilience, powers my goals and boosts my optimism.   

And today, when I reached into my pack and felt around for gratitude; and there it was -- familiar, uplifting and motivating:

🙏Today I am grateful for walking 2.9 miles, gaining a pound and the gentle kindness of my trekking partner.  Now, that's a path I can move on!

Quote of the Day:
Acknowledging the good that you already have in your life is the foundation for all abundance.
                                                                                        ~Eckhart Tolle



 VIA FRANCIGENA, 2020!


No comments:

Post a Comment