Thursday, August 15, 2019

Rituals

Day Eleven (Since my cancer diagnosis) 

When I was a second lieutenant in Schweinfurt, Germany back in the 1980s, I scrawled a Michael LeBouf quote on the inside cover of my platoon leader's notebook: "Waste your money and you're only out of money, but waste your time and you've lost a piece of your life." 

Waste your money and you're only out of money, but waste your time and you've lost a part of your life.
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/michael_leboeuf_104467
Waste your money and you're only out of money, but waste your time and you've lost a part of your life.
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/michael_leboeuf_10446
And I suppose that commitment to not wasting time (or losing any piece of my life) subsequently contributed to my love of rituals -- versus routine.

Vietnamese Buddhist Monk, Thich Nhat Hanh, explains simply that ritual is taking action with purpose and presence.  Hanh notes that a person can be preoccupied in routine and lose presence (wasting time (my words)), or choose to be fully present and aware -- living all life's pieces, in the moment.  Even among otherwise mundane actions like turning on a computer, washing dishes, or greeting someone (ever automatically inquire, "How are you?" without really giving a damn?), acts can become rituals when executed with awareness and presence. 

To be present in the moment (as on this journey) means being sucked neither into thoughts of the future (what next?) nor of the past (why?).  On this journey, I am concentrating on staying in the moment (and living each day fully).  I find it energizing to be aware and present for this oh-so-wonderful life.

Before my sister traveled to be with us (she arrived yesterday) I told her that there are two rituals I want to observe on this unexpected journey: 
  • First, I want always to have and appreciate fresh flowers in our home -- Every. Single. Day.
  • Second, I want to dance -- Every. Single. Day.
Last night, a dear friend brought us roses (along with a gourmet meal) and this morning, I danced with my sister.  In the rituals of appreciating the flowers and dancing with my sister, I find my feet firmly on the path -- fully engaged, venturing forward in the only way practically possible: One step at a time.  I am stronger every day post-surgery -- and while I'm not walking mile-upon-mile yet, I can manage the quarter mile from our front door to our mailbox and back each morning.

Together, Cliff and I are moving forward with presence and purpose.  We know fear and doubt wallow in the shadows of the past and the haze of the future, ready to waste one's time.  Presence gives these two murky characters no quarter, nor shall we!  We are living life in all its pieces.

Colon cancer fact:
Often, those who are diagnosed with colon cancer have experienced no signs or symptoms associated with the disease.                                                                                          ~Colon Cancer Coalition                   
 Quote of the day:
No time is wasted.  ~ Cantus Fraggle 

 
Dancing with my sister



Via Francigena 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment