Saturday, September 21, 2019

Because I'm Happy . . .

(Day 47 since my diagnosis)

O.K., so today's title may be somewhat surprising -- but I've said from the beginning that I only can be where I am in this process, and that is in the present.  And today, I'm happy!  Actually, for the past seven days. I've been progressively more happy each day, as I've felt better, stronger, and greater energy with every passing day.  And that progress is reason to be darned happy.

Sure, lots of things have changed in the past six weeks or so, and I'm adapting. 
  • I'm living a wine-free life -- and not even whining about it!
  • I cleared my closet of my winter uniform of skinny jeans (for this season) -- despite my struggle gain weight, those waist bands don't agree with my finicky cancer gut.
  • I'm hiding out from our glorious Santa Fe sunshine like a vampire (ugh -- chemo-induced photo-sensitivity).
Check out how small and manageable these changes are (and sure there are others -- some less light -- still, I'm finding them all manageable).

My first thought upon waking most mornings remains: "I love my life!"  Sure, thoughts of the disease bubble up -- but they follow thoughts of our home projects (on course), my dogs (so in my face at 5:00 a.m.) and my gratitude for my TeamBoltz life partner (together for 40 years this month -- married for 37+).  Note: These thoughts are not necessarily listed in order of frequency or occurrence.

I continue to dance.  Every. Single. Day.  And I dance to happy music.  Over the last week I've danced to:
  • Electric Boogie (doing the electric slide, of course)
  • Free Beer Polka (seriously, with my sister and brother-in-law)
  • The Best Day of My Life (kind of says it all, I think)
  • I'll Be There For You (after all, this month marks the 25th anniversary of the hit show, "Friends")
  • Happy (Thank you, Pharrell Williams -- also taggd for today's blog title)
  • Budapest (pop-rock -- oh so fun)
  • Call Me Maybe (Remember when this song was EVERYWHERE?)
  • Wanna Dance With Somebody (O.K, I hope by now you all are dancing with me)
My flower ritual continues:

This week's flowers

I keep moving.  I walked 3.2 miles yesterday and plan to walk 4 miles before Tuesday's chemo -- and today, I'm on the Peloton!

60 minutes (with arm work)

In short, I'm living my life (we heard you Dr. Rixe).  I'm living my life in perspective, present and grateful.  And yes, today, I'm happy!

Progress: Since today's blog really was a progress report, there's not much to add.  I'm relieved and encouraged by my resilience in (chemo) cycle one.  Cycle two starts on 24 September . . .

Quote of the Day:
And when you get the chance to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
                                                                              ~ Lee Ann Womack 

VIA FRANCIGENA, 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment