Sunday, September 8, 2019

Gearing Up

Day 34 -- Tomorrow is five weeks since my cancer diagnosis -- and my first day of chemo.

*********************************

If you've read blogs of TeamBoltz' past journeys, you know I always write a gear blog.  The gear blog details what we'll carry and/or wear that we consider essential to journey success. 

To be sure, selecting our journey gear is a process we've got down to a real science:  In the weeks before we take our first step on any major trek/tramp/hike/walk, we develop our gear lists.  We compare gear lists. We grow piles of gear along the walls of our master bedroom.  We confer on our gear decisions; which almost always results in some pairing down of what makes it from the pile to the pack

Gear prep keeps us organized.  Have we planned for contingencies smartly?  How many pairs of socks?  How many Cliff Bars?  Wet weather gear?  Cold weather gear?  Who is carrying what of our "community gear"?  Do we have all we need without including extraneous stuff that never gets used or worn . . . because who wants to carry extra as the miles add up?  Only when we've checked and double-checked our gear as a team are zippers zipped and straps cinched.

The right gear (along with the right training) gives us confidence for a successful journey.  There's a spirited feeling of team-assurance, and a healthy charge of "let's go" when we grab our carefully curated packs of gear and head out the door.  

So, is it any wonder we've been gearing up for the unexpected journey as well?  I think not!

Take for example, packing gear for what we'll call the journey's "chemo legs" (described below):
  • The start (Day One) of every cycle (12 cycles are scheduled) includes blood tests, a meeting with my oncologist, my treatment (3 hours) in the "chemo suite," and the attachment of a chemo pump (which I'll wear home). 
  • On Day Three of each cycle, I'll return to the center to have the pump removed.  
  • Every two weeks, we'll repeat this leg (almost certainly with some as yet unknown changes in direction or duration or exertion despite the mostly common terrain -- but hey, that's the nature of journeys, right?).
What do we need for these legs? 
  • For Sustenance: Yesterday, my darling husband baked healthy "anytime bars" (a recipe from the Cancer Kitchen Cookbook --  thank you, Suby!), to include in my chemo kit bag.  
  • For passing the time: Electronics (Kindle (for me), iPad (for Cliff) with device chargers (yes, they have wi-fi) and a good (non-eletronic) read (The Salt Path is in the bag, thank you Marianne!).  
  • For hydration: Water bottles (pre-filled).
  • For comfort: A warm blanket (thanks Murray Group!), an amazingly soft and beautiful shawl (so grateful, Marj!).
  • For good-vibe healing: Larimar bracelet (thanks, Chip), crystal charm (thanks Cal and Mel), and everyone's love and well wishes.

Next is the matter of my trekking uniform: It has to be comfortable but never sloppy. I am determined to show up for every appointment and treatment looking poised and put together -- not to mention FIERCE!  No doubt this determination to keep it together on the outside stems from growing up one of Julia Garrett's daughters.  When my sister and I didn't feel well as kids, our mom pushed us to get up, get showered and get dressed.  Mom knew that our physical presence and confidence had a central role in coaching our emotional being.  For sure, Mom got the mind-body connection before mind-body was cool. 

And yes, because I know it's damned hard to feel sad when you're smiling -- or to lack confidence when you strike a power pose -- tomorrow morning I'll grab my gear bag, head for the door (wearing a smartly-coordinated outfit, of course) and step on the path of my first chemo leg with a smile on my face, head up and shoulders back.  I am moving with intention -- present and purposeful.  I'm a soldier.  I'm a trekker.  Together Cliff and I have that same assurance, determination and motivation that permeate all our journeys.  This is a big trek -- with maybe the highest stakes of all -- and you can be sure, we got this.  One step, one day at a time -- with all the right stuff!

 Quote of the day:
Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes, your smile can be the source of your joy.
                                                          ~Thich Nhat Hanh
The Essential Gear (Cliff's homemade Anytime Bars in purple plastic-ware -- thank you babe!)



Via Francigena, 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment