Monday, September 30, 2019

Finding a Rhythm

In the world of trekking training (especially when it comes to high altitude and/or long-distance endeavors), one's training cycles often are described in terms of base, build, peak and taper.    According to Clyde Soles (author of my trekking training bible, "Climbing: Training for Peak Performance") the most arduous journeys require highly trained mental power, endurance, physical strength and technique.

Since Cliff and I are gathering data and trying now to understand how the rhythm of the unexpected journey corresponds to our trekking experiences, I've been thinking a lot about how these training cycles may fit inside a sustained unexpected journey in progress.

For sure, we hit the trail at an unusually strong base level of training, given we just completed 200 miles of hiking Offa's Dyke.  But weirdly, from that base, we quickly are finding ourselves in a do-loop of build/peak, build/peak, build/peakBase was base and taper won't happen (we're already on the move); however, every two-week cycle on the path presents us with multiple opportunities to train our build/peak phases.   

And my critical learning so far makes clear that all the build/peak can't happen in Week Two (when I'm feeling my best).  I have to engage in intentional Week One (when I'm feeling my worst) training that contributes to my build and supports my peak phases.

Cliff and I know from years of training that no matter the challenge, we never get a chance to go back and get any training we blew off -- once packs are hoisted, and boots hit the path (or once the starting pistol sounds) we've got what we worked for, nothing more.  Any notion of excepting Week One from in-progress training ignores our "doer" approach, gritty dispositions and growth mindset.  We both show up every day (yep, every single day) ready to do the work.  We don't expect easy achievement or accolades.  We know results come from engagement, determination and perseverance.  And we recognize (especially for the long haul) we must remain present and aware; continually and honestly assess our endurance, mental power, physical strength and technique; and be prepared to adjust our training plan with grace and humility  -- and without surrendering the opportunities well within our reach.

Experience has taught us this flexible approach of seeing opportunity in adversity can deliver some pretty incredible gifts:
  • In Nepal, when fires blocked our planned path and we diverted our trek to cross along the shores of the Gosainkund, we explored (all to ourselves) the magic of the high-altitude sacred lake;
  • On Wainwright's Coast-to-Coast across England, on a day when winds drove us off the cliffs, and we discovered the beauty and calm of the valley below;
  • Along The Pennine Way when 18 days of rain convinced us to walk a marathon in sodden boots on our last trail day, we were rewarded with an extra day to relax, dry out and explore at the end of the walk; and,
  • In Tibet, where glacial ice shrouded our planned high-pass crossing to Lhasa, we shifted our passage to an uncharted, less-traveled Himalayan cleft that allowed interaction with Tibetan herders and high-mountain dwellers that otherwise might never have been possible.
So in Week One, I am using a like-minded approach to discover opportunity and fuel a continuous build cycle with a clearheaded vision of what the week can be, what I am experiencing and grace-filled flexibility to make adjustments assured that my choices will deliver some pretty darned impressive training (on the move) results.   And here's how it's working out so far:
  • Week One build is about working on my mental power: Recognizing my anxiety around Week One (my first Week One experience was a little worse than I expected), I employed the support of a certified medical hypnotherapist to help me adjust my thinking from how I don't want to feel in Week One: sick; to how I want to feel in Week One:  Strong, confident. grateful, aware, curious.  And while days two, three and four were still tough last week, I was able to tap into my powerful sub-conscious messages to power through without fear or apprehension.
  • Week One build also means fueling for endurance and hanging on to every ounce of body weight I can.  I'm eating healthfully, whether I feel hungry or not.  We're discovering what appeals and keeping it on hand: Who knew creamed spinach and baked potatoes could taste so darned good?  And this cycle, I lost half the weight I did in Week One, Cycle One. 
  • Week One build says I'll work faster toward each peak cycle's strength development  goals by moving, dancing and walking as soon as I can after chemotherapy.  This cycle, as last, I lost only two days of activity (Wed/Thurs).  By Friday, I was out and walking; and yesterday I logged 1.5 miles.  So yes, I'll get in my Peloton sessions and at least one long hike before next cycle.  And last night, on the occasion of my 60th birthday, I danced to two long-play versions of Stevie Wonder's 1980 tribute to Dr. Martin Luther King: "Happy Birthday."
  • Week One build also benefits when I stay tuned to technique -- and for this I'm occupying my mind with joyful diversions that keep me goal focused (Via Francigena, 2020) without sacrificing the unique opportunity of slower-paced days.  I'm reading, writing, becoming reacquainted with hand-quilting, connecting with friends and family, reviewing and refining home project plans, mastering healthy super-soup recipes and, most recently, learning how to tie head scarves (yep, this week my hair signaled it wouldn't be "hanging around" much longer).
So truly, despite having experienced only two treatment cycles,  I feel our rhythm is emerging.  While I know (especially being married to an applied mathematician) that two data points don't indicate a trend, I also know: This is it.  I won't get to go back and train for this one (we were moving before the starting pistol ever sounded).  With awareness, presence and purpose, I understand I can (and must) continue to train en route on this unexpected journey.  And I'm showing up -- to train, to work, to win.  Every. Single. Day.

Quote of the Day:
Nothing will work unless you do.
                                      ~Maya Angelou

    Celebrating 60 in flowers!  Thank you Skip and Lois, Cliff, and the incredible Hunt Valley Crew (Jason and team)

    VIA FRANCIGENA, 2020!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment