Wednesday, November 20, 2019

And the Joy of a Goal Achieved

Ah, the joy of reaching a summit, crossing a tough pass, completing an ultra-long trek -- a goal achieved.  It is the satisfying award of much hard work, gritty determination and often, a good dose of inspiration we carry in our hearts.  For many years, I ran long-distance races in honor of the daughter (gone too soon) of one of my USMA classmates.  It was inspiring to run for Jill.  Her challenges dwarfed my effort, and kept pain, doubt and exhaustion at bay.  If she could face every day with a smile -- and she could -- I could dig deep to honor her spirit.  Inspiration is a major part of this unexpected journey too.  So this morning, I was thrilled to get a text from our trekking pal (and dear, dear friend) Marty who is at Everest Base Camp!!

Marty at Base Camp (17,600') with Everest in the background

Marty has been an inspiration for my Rule of 21s.  And last treatment cycle while Marty was on his high-altitude approach, I logged 21.5 miles of walking in his honor.  This cycle, of course, I have to keep walking to (virtually) meet Marty there -- and by the time I arrive, he'll be home in California.  But his inspiration carries on.  Congratulations, Marty.  You are fierce!!!

Chemo Week One, Cycle Five, is underway.  I am feeling strong and positive.  Marty's text communication super-powered my morning; and this blog honors his achievement.  Hooah, Marty!

Progress: I'm nearly halfway through my (12) prescribed chemo/targeted treatments.  Dr. Rixe is pleased with my progress and on Monday even told us as part of the Mediterranean diet, I can have a "glass of good red wine" every day.  While it is less appealing right now (I'm in that nothing really sounds appetizing period of Week One), we did toast (from NM to FL (my sis)) on Monday evening.  Little things like this, which make life feel more "normal," are a nice boost. Last night we danced to Celebration, by Kool and the Gang (Come on . . . ♫. . .)

Quote of the Day:
Believe in yourself.  You are braver than you think, more talented than you know, and capable of more than you can imagine.
                                                                                    Roy T. Bennett




VIA FRANCIGENA, 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment