Tuesday, November 5, 2019

Walking the Plateau

Day Two, Week One, Cycle Four

*******************

The following is a short flashback blog from Week Two, Cycle Three:

One of my favorite pleasures of trekking's big climbs is walking the high plateaus.  It's that fabulous reward when the heart-pumping climb evens off to the lofty, level path where the walking becomes fluid, the view extends beyond the next foot placement to the glorious surrounds and the trail ahead is a long forgiving stretch that says, "Job well done, now let's even the breathing and swing loose the legs before the next climb."  I never think of a plateau as a "stuck point" to rush through.  Trekking has taught me to never to take plateaus for granted.  They are present throughout our lives -- on any journey.  And I find that rushing to the next climb without experiencing fully the plateau cheats reflection, awareness, growth and presence itself.  Savoring each climb as well as the culminating rewards and opportunities of the plateau is a gift. Since we can be nowhere else but right where we are, why speed- or sleepwalk the moment?  Better to breathe deeply, be aware, smile -- and notice (just notice) what comes.

Plateau Walking in Tibet

Plateau Walking in Wales (Offa's Dyke)

Week Two of treatment Cycle Three was for me an incredible plateau that urged an even rhythmic gait.  Relaxing into the terrain of the moment revealed an amazing landscape that supported connections with friends (telephonic and visits), a long Santa Fe downtown walk for more re-connecting with pals (and a little shopping), organizing our new pantry and laundry rooms, prepping our downtown space and greeting new Airbnb guests (two sets), getting in my Peloton sessions and 14+ walking miles.

It was a fabulous Week Two.  My busiest Week Two so far.  And in welcoming the gifts of the plateau, I became aware of and was inspired by Olympic Gold Medalist (and Anchorage Alaska hometown girl) Kikkan Randall's approach to managing breast cancer.  Her fight plan gave life to my new fight plan, which I'll blog about later this week (just the idea of blogging in Week One instead of getting quiet hints at a plateau-inspired change).  I'm calling it my Rule of 21s.  Stay tuned!  And by the way, this weekend Kikkan Randall met and exceeded her personal goal in her post-cancer battle running of the NYC marathon; where she turned in a time of 2:55:12 (her goal was to best a 3:00:00 finish).  You can read about Kikkan's approach to her cancer fight via the link, below.  It's awesome.

A plateau read: Kikkan Randall beats breast cancer

Progress Report: Neulasta worked and my white blood cells rebounded!  I arrived for the start of Cycle Four yesterday feeling great.  And to top off great, my USMA roommate and 40+year pal, Deb (Chip) and her amazing hubby, Mark, made a second visit in as many months and supported me through my chemo suite appointment.  I am grateful.

Quote of the Day:
A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.
                                                               ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes

Chip and Dale head to Chemo Four


VIA FRANCIGENA, 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment