Thursday, November 28, 2019

Holidays on the Trail

Happy Thanksgiving
The life experiences of two trekkers and soldiers include holidays observed around the world -- most times together (absent deployments), sometimes solemn, often humorous, always grateful. 

This year we are recalling birthdays celebrated in the Andes and the Himalayas; two funny/ironic Independence Days in the United Kingdom; an anniversary (our second) on a field exercise in Germany that was supported by a couple of crusty but compassionate commanders who enabled shared pizza on the hood of a quarter-ton jeep (the vehicle preceding the now ubiquitous Humvee -- says how old we are . . .), a Y2K New Year's Eve in Korea (Remember the concern of what would happen at the stroke of midnight as we entered the 2000s?), and Thanksgivings (the many fabulous Thanksgivings shared with our Army Family for more than half of our adult/married lives) in Germany, Korea, Guantanamo Bay, Alaska and around the contiguous U.S.A..  Through it all we have been blessed with a life that is good, experiences that fill and inspire us, and an abundance of love and support from our communities, friends and families.  For all of that we are grateful.

In a text exchange with a pal this morning, I noted how this year the thanks and gratitude of the day seem particularly poignant and strong for me.  There is no doubt that an especially challenging trek heightens appreciation -- for life, for opportunities and challenges and for the ability to do.  This unexpected journey has raised my awareness of all that is good and positive and plentiful to new heights.

And as I give thanks this year, I want to single out my hero.  The greatest blessing in my life is my partner, Cliff.  Through four decades he has challenged, inspired, championed and loved me without condition.  On this journey, he is ever present: By me in medical appointments and treatments, with me through the post-treatment wonky side effects, and the blessedly calm and strong recovery weeks.  He is humorous and kind when the craziness threatens to skid out of control.  He becomes the "warm-up chef" when I can't face the kitchen and has assumed the mantle of vacuum king without complaint (hustling to clear our floors of the dog hair, dirty paw prints and dust that characterize the high-desert life in New Mexico).  He's a powerhouse; and I only hope I am thanking him enough. 

On this Thanksgiving I want to say publicly, thank you, darling Cliff, for dancing with me  -- Every. Single. Day.  Thank you for the flowers.  Thank you for your practice of patience and presence on this unexpected journey.  We have many songs still to dance to and many trails still to travel.  And we'll do it together.  Because on my list of reasons I'm living -- right at the top -- is because TeamBoltz takes two.

Progress Report:  Week Two, Cycle Five. 
  • This cycle has been an adventure.  I'm doing great and feeling positive about our medical way ahead.  Weather has forced some of my walking inside (yep, mall walking -- no shame, just getting it done).  
  • Today I'll Peloton cycle my miles toward base camp.  Marty, I'm almost there. 
  • My hair situation can best be described as a Chia Pet having a David Bowie bad hair day.  Loving my hats and scarves! 
  • Appetite is sketchy -- shrimp are my current fave food.  Still eating through it all.  Still able to gain back my pre-treatment weight every cycle.
  • I'm reading up a storm (fifteen books since my diagnosis).  Currently I'm reading my way along the Via Francigena with Timothy Egan, A Pilgrimage to Eternity.  Don't buy it, Marianne, it's headed your way! 
Quote of the Day:
If you only say one prayer in a day, make it thank you.
                                                          ~Rumi 

An exhausted Munro (after plowing through a snowy field on a White Thanksgiving in Santa Fe)


VIA FRANCIGENA, 2020!

No comments:

Post a Comment