Friday, November 8, 2019

Base Camp Trekking and the Rule of 21s

It's Day Five, Week One, Cycle Four and I'm blogging!  And I'm giving my increased understanding of cycle rhythm, continued attention to build/peak phases, the inspiration of Kikkan Randall, Marty's Everest Base Camp Trek, and my new Rule of 21s tons of credit for this breakthrough.

Marty's what?  

So, one of our dear friends and trekking pals (Marty) is in Nepal as I type, trekking to Everest Base Camp (South) over the next two weeks -- and I'm going with him, at least in spirit.  While Marty's base camp adventure will take him to 17,600 feet, my base camp is pretty much established right here in Santa Fe and defined by a refrigerator and freezer adorned with large bows to remind me NOT to touch/consume anything cold, a note snuggled next to my place at the table that warns, "SMALL BITES" (large bites blow out my chemo'ed taste buds with excruciating pain), and a wide variety of different flavored teas, proteins drinks, bone broths and snacks that encourage me to eat, eat, eat.  And from my southwestern perspective, I constantly am considering what I can do to maintain and increase my strength and determination through treatment cycles (at least eight more). Well, Marty has 65 high-altitude kilometers (40.3 miles) of trekking to reach base camp.  And I'm walking those 40+ miles over this and my next treatment cycle, during which he'll be gone.  And yep, I'll still owe him the 40+ miles back to his start point over my next two treatments.  No problem -- walking "with" Marty (and certainly, he is walking with me too) holds me accountable to my new Rule of 21s.

The Rule of 21s

Since reading Kikkan Randall's inspirational cancer-fighting story, I've been thinking about what it will take to keep me active every day of each treatment cycle (Kikkan committed to 10 minutes of movement everyday) . Starting with the current research on exercise and cancer patients, I found multiple studies on the National Institute of Health website, documenting how exercise reduces treatment-related fatigue and nausea, reduces weight loss (builds muscle, stimulates appetite), increases patient safety through improved balance and functional fitness. and supports cardiac fitness.

So with this feedback and encouragement from Dr. Rixe  "Do what you can -- and if you can do that, do more! " --  I've decided to amp up my treatment fitness routine.  Previously I focused on an every cycle achievement of two, one-hour Peloton sessions and one, four-mile walk. Now, using the recommendation of the Clinical Oncology Society of Australia (as reported by the Harvard Medical School) and the American College of Sports Medicine that cancer patients get 150 minutes of aerobic exercise each week (and mindful of my own pre-diagnosis fitness level) I am exercising (walking this week) for at least 21 minutes each day (yep, even on Day Four) and turning in at least 21 walking miles each treatment cycle -- and on top of my yoga, (and dancing, of course), I'm adding strength training days (3/7, set/reps). 

Why 21?  Because 150 minutes/7 days = ~21 minutes a day.  Because our circuit walk is 3.5 miles and if I do that most days of Week Two, I'll log 21 miles, easy.  Because I like 21 as an accountability tab (heck, it's even our house number).  I can check-off my 21s -- and after starting to rack them up, I'll be motivated to keep those 21s coming.  And perhaps most importantly -- those 21s will get me to base camp with Marty!

Progress report: Day Five and I've not missed a day of activity.  While I continue to lose some weight each cycle -- and Cycle Four is no different -- I have been able to regain my weight lost during each cycle before the next treatment.   And as always, I continue to look forward to what I can do to stay strong, active and connected.  I'm in this to win it.  Pain is temporary -- quitting is forever (Lance Armstrong quote written on my tri-bike aero bars).

Super Cool Note:  Yesterday my darling sister of the perennially long and lustrous hair sent me a photo of her with an adorable ultra-short haircut in sister solidarity.  And she donated a 13" ponytail to Locks of Love.  How cool is that?

Quote of the Day:
Run when you can, walk if you have to, crawl if you must -- but never give up.
                ~ Dean Karnazes (ultra-marathoner and master of mental and physical endurance)




VIA FRANCIGENA, 2020

1 comment:

  1. Donna thank you so much for sharing! Your blogs are so insightful and thoughtful... My thoughts and prayers are with you!! Quite the adventure that Marty is on, I wish I could go with him!!

    ReplyDelete